Did you know 1 in 12 students leave higher education during their first year of study? (Source: What Works? Student Retention & Success project). And many more consider it, so it's important that you know you're not alone!

The common reasons for withdrawing that we hear are:

  • Difficulty coping with their studies
  • Problems adjusting to a student lifestyle
  • Issues with friends & their social life
  • Accommodation

You may also find that you encounter these feelings during times that many students find particularly challenging, such as:

  • During the first term
  • Immediately before Christmas
  • Immediately after Christmas


'Don't Drop Out, Drop In' is SUBU's way of inviting you to talk through these feelings and frustrations. We can help by directing you to a number of support services, information sources and student activities to help you into a more positive mindset. And if you still discover that Bournemouth University isn't for you, then we want to ensure you can make a well-informed decision with confidence.

Withdrawing from university can be an expensive decision - for example, you might need to pay 25% or more of your year's tuition fee and a term or more's accommodation fee.  SUBU Advice can help you work out what the cost could be in your particular circumstances, so get in touch with them as early as possible.

Below you can find some handy FAQs, further information and some useful links to support and resources relating to the key reasons why students consider leaving university. And if you don't find what you're looking for remember you can contact a member or our SUBU Advice team any time.


Academic Study & Skills Support

What can I do if I don't like my course?  Don't worry, all is not lost!  Have a chat with your lecturers and find out whether the course is going to continue the way it's going or if there are any changes ahead.  If you decide that you want to try to change course or leave BU, make sure you come and talk to SUBU Advice - they'll make sure you don't miss anything. Mistakes made in the way in which you leave BU could make it very difficult for you to study in future and prove more expensive than necessary.

I am, or think I may be, dyslexic/dyspraxic - who can help me?  Try the University's Disability and Additional Learning Support service - ALS.  They are qualified and experienced, and will offer you as much support as possible with these or other conditions which may mean you would benefit from additional support


Money Worries

My loan instalment is late - what can I do?  Speak to Student Finance England (or Wales, or other funding body) and double-check that they've got everything they need from you.  If they have but there's still a delay, speak to SUBU Advice - they may be able to help you access other sources of funding to reduce your money stresses.

I'm in debt, and I just can't afford to be a student - do I have to leave BU?  In a word, maybe.  Some people do have financial situations which means university is not an option for them right now.  But come and see an Advice Worker in SUBU Advice - they'll go through your situation with you and see if there's anything you can do to increase your income or reduce your costs.  They're confidential and their advice is free.



I can't get on with my housemates - what can I do?  The Chaplaincy may be able to offer mediation or strategies for coping with difficult housemates (don't forget to consider that it may be you who is being difficult!).  If your housemate's behaviour is unlawful then you always have the option of reporting it to the Police or to the University (students can be held liable for their behaviour, even outside of BU premises).  If you need to move, then you should probably contact SUBU Advice - they can give you advice which is tailored specifically to you and your situation, which may be unique. 

My house is mouldy and it's really getting me down.  How do I get it fixed?  You could try talking to the Environmental Health department at your local Council (here's the weblink for Bournemouth and Poole).  Your landlord or letting agent may also be able to help.  If the situation's really bad then SUBU Advice can help explain what options you may have for taking legal action.  Most mould, though, is caused by behaviour, rather than structure; are you heating/ventilating the space appropriately?  Are you drying clothes on radiators?  Is the mould forming behind large items of furniture where no air can circulate?


Student Activities & Social Opportunities

I'm not getting the most out of my time, or I'm struggling to meet friends - what should I do?  You could join a club/society or get into volunteering.  If neither of those float your boat, how about joining the gym or going along to some events at the Old Fire Station?  Don't forget that Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch is a pretty big conurbation - if you can't find what you're looking for within BU or SUBU then maybe you can find it within the wider local community instead!


Personal Support

I'm homesick - is everyone else coping better than me?  Probably not - everyone misses home comforts sometimes!  If you're struggling, then there's plenty of support at BU. SUBU Advice, the Chaplaincy (catering for those of all faiths, and none), the Student Wellbeing Service and the Medical Centre may all be able to help you).


BU also has some useful top tips for managing homesickness.


Powered by

Registered Office

Registered Office: Students' Union at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB

Registered in England Charity Number: 1144886