This page contains guidance as to how to withdraw from BU and things you need to consider before you leave. If you would like to discuss your individual circumstances or any of the information below, then contact us for an appointment.


Before you decide to withdraw its worth exploring every source of support available to you. Withdrawing after you have enrolled on to your course, or mid-way through a course, could have implications on your future student funding entitlement. Therefore it’s important you make the right decision for you. Below is some advice on managing common issues students bring to us when they express a wish to leave uni.


Academic Support


My course isn’t what I expected  

We advise that you have a chat with your Programme Leader and find out whether the course is going to continue the way it's going or if there are any changes ahead. For instance, you may be able to choose your modules and focus your degree on an area you find more interesting. Or, you may be able to swap degrees within BU. We have a separate information sheet on Changing Course.


I’m struggling to complete the work and understand the content

Ensure you ask questions in lectures and seminars and get in touch with your lecturers if you are struggling with the content and keeping up. Some students find independent learning a struggle compared to learning at college or school. The focus on independent learning can highlight an additional learning need that wasn’t visible before and lecturers can sometimes pick up on this when marking your work. If you think you may have an additional learning need, such as dyslexia ensure you contact the Additional Learning Support for guidance. With their support, you may be able to improve how you approach your study and your grades. Tel: (0)1202 965663. Email:



Money Worries


My loan installment is late - what can I do?  Speak to your funding provider, e.g.. Student Finance England, and double-check that they've got everything they need from you.  If they have but there's still a delay, speak to SUBU Advice or askBU - they may be able to help you access other sources of funding to reduce your money stresses and move your student finance application along more quickly.


I'm in debt. I just can't afford to be a student

Unfortunately some students are unable to afford to continue on their course. Contact us for an appointment if you are thinking of leaving BU due to money worries. There could be some additional funding you could apply for and/or we can work with you to maximise your income.




I don’t get on with my housemates?  

Before you withdraw, consider the idea of moving accommodation instead. You would need to check you housing contract to see if you can move out early, we can help you understand your contract. Simply email it to us or book an appointment to see an Advice Worker.


If you have fallen out with your housemates and would like to work on re-building your relationship then mediation may be an option for you. Chaplaincy offer mediation and a listening ear for those experiencing personal issues.


If your housemate's behavior is unlawful then you always have the option of reporting it to the Police or to the University (students can be held liable for their behavior, even outside of BU premises).  We can listen to your situation and inform you of what options you have available.


My house is moldy and it's really getting me down.  I just can’t stay here anymore.  

Don’t give up your academic career due to disrepair. In the first instance you should take photos and send these to your landlord or letting agent, making it clear you are reporting repairs. If they fail to take action you can contact us for advice, or with your consent, we can give them a call on your behalf.


You need to ensure you do not dry clothes inside the house and that you have the heating on and ventilate the property. Failure to do this means there is very little we can do to help as it is difficult to evidence you are not causing the problem. It may be necessary for you to contact Environmental Health if the landlord or letting agent fails to make good any repairs for which you are not liable for (you haven’t caused the damp). Here's the links for Bournemouth and Poole Environmental Health. If you have explored all options and a resolution isn’t forthcoming then SUBU Advice can help explain what options you may have for taking legal action.

SUBU Advice can support you to find a tenant to replace you in your accommodation and advise you of your contractual liabilities. E.g. having to pay rent for the full fixed term of your contract.


Student Activities & Social Opportunities


I'm not getting the most out of my time, or I'm struggling to meet friends - what should I do?  

There are many opportunities with SUBU to meet new people, spend time doing hobbies and enhancing your CV. You could join a club or society, get into volunteering, join the gym or going along to some events at the Old Fire Station.  

Check out for more information.

If you can't find what you're looking for within BU or SUBU then maybe you can find it within the wider local community instead! Poole has a climbing wall, ice rink and bowling alley, and water sports activities whilst Bournemouth has surf schools, rock climbing, and Oceanarium and mini- golf. There is so much on offer inside and outside of BU.

You could consider taking on part-time work to meet other people and increase your income at the same time.

Avoid being alone where possible and talk to your friends and family about how you feel.



Homesickness is completely normal and many other students around you may feel the same way. Most students miss their home comforts at some time – you’re not alone. If you're struggling, then there's plenty of support at BU. Talk to your housemates and classmates to see how they feel, a problem shared is often a problem halved.


Keeping busy and being with others is a great way to beat those homesickness blues. You could also arrange for friends from home to visit or go home for a weekend.


Or you may want to access more formal support:



Careers guidance

BU’s Career and Employability Service can help you map out what it is you would really like to do and help you to determine the best way to get there. The Careers and Employability service is based in The Edge next to the library on the Talbot Campus. You can just pop in or call to book an appointment. They are very friendly and understanding.


Email: Tel: 01202 961663



I definitely want to leave  - what do I need to know?



Can you get out of your contract? Ensure you speak to your accommodation provided and contact us for help if you are unsure of your rights and responsibilities.


Undergraduate Student Funding

If you are worried about the ramifications of withdrawing from university on your student finance, it may be helpful to know that SFE are willing to allocate funding to a student for the length of one whole course, and a “gift” year. If you decide to drop out this will be classed as your “gift” year, so should you return to university you should still receive a full student loan, if you haven’t repeated or started another HE course before. We advise you speak to a SUBU Advice Worker so you can get specific advice related to your circumstances.


BU Tuition Fees Liability

If you are thinking of leaving BU you may be liable for withdrawal fees. You can find full details of the dates and fees here.



Powered by

Registered Office

Registered Office: Students' Union at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB

Registered in England Charity Number: 1144886