Working in the UK

An an international student there wil be limitation on how many hours you can work. International students are usually only permitted to work 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacaiton periods. Check your visa to ensure you do not breach your working conditions.


National Insurance (NI) 

Firstly ensure you have the right to work in the UK. Please check your visa and if you have any queries contact the International Student Support team at AskBU. You will also need to have either applied for a National Insurance Number (NINO) or already have one. You need a National Insurance Number if you intend to work, claim benefits or apply for a student loan

To apply for a National Insurance Number, or for further advice on what it is for please visit the gov. website.


Income tax

You pay income tax on your income from paid employment. The tax is usually deducted from your salary, and how much you pay will depend on what you earn and any allowances you are eligible for.


Powered by

Registered Office

Registered Office: Students' Union at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB

Registered in England Charity Number: 1144886