The level of financial support you can receive whilst at university varies according to your personal circumstances and what course you are on.Contact us if you would like to discuss your individual circumstances.


Undergraduate funding

From Sept 2017 the majority of courses are funded by Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland, Student Finance NI. The level of funding provided will depend on your individual circumstances and where you choose to study.


EU Student Funding

The .gov website explains what funding is available to EU students. EU students are entitled to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only.


Undergraduates and independent status

Student Finance may classify you as independent if:

  • If you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents,
  • over 25 years old on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts
  • you are married or in a civil partnership
  • you were married or in a civil partnership and have now separated
  • you have children or a dependent
  • your parents/adoptive parents are deceased,
  • have supported yourself for at least 36 months prior to the start of your course,
  • been in local authority care for at least three months after your sixteenth birthday, and are irreconcilably estranged from your parents, you are entitled to be considered as a care leaver
  • you do not know where your parents are, or they are in a country whereby it would be considered too dangerous to contact them
  • your parent/s have a health problem or mental health issue and it is considered too dangerous or impractical for you to contact them


If you feel you may qualify as a independent student then this pdf guide may be useful. also supports students who are independent.


Postgraduate Funding

The main source of funding for a taught masters degree is a Postgraduate Loan. Other postgraduate courses may be funded by Studentship via the Research Councils UK. has some useful information on how to fund a Masters degree and offer £12000 of scholarships.  also has funding information and £12000 of scholarships available.


PHD funding

A Postgraduate Doctoral Loan can help with course fees and living costs while you study a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD. You will be able to apply for funding for the 2018 to 2019 academic year in summer 2018. More information can be found at


BU Bursaries and Scholarships

BU has a selection of Bursaries and Scholarships. You can find more details on these, including if you are eligible, on their website.


Powered by

Registered Office

Registered Office: Students' Union at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB

Registered in England Charity Number: 1144886