Many students work part-time, whether during term time, in vacations or both. This means students often have an income, which then may be subject to tax. 


Do I have to pay tax?

There is a common misconception that students do not pay tax. As many student work very limited hours their earning do not reach the threshold in which tax needs to be paid. If you earn more than £917 a month on average, then you will be liable to pay tax. If you earn more than £155 a month on average you will be liable to pay National Insurance Contributions.

If you are unsure if you are paying the correct amount of tax you can use the HMRC Tax Checker.

If you have paid too much tax in a given tax year you can claim a refund.


International students and tax

if you have come to the UK to study and would like to work you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number.  


Lost your National Insurance Number? (NINO)

If you have lost your NINO and cannot find it on a P60, wage slip or other tax document, then you will need to submit a form to retrieve your number. This can be done via the .gov website.


Tax Guide for Students

The Tax Guide for Students website has a host of information and advice regarding working and tax. Whether you wish to volunteer, have a placement year coming up or wish to travel the Tax Guide for Students website has all the information you need.

Powered by

Registered Office

Registered Office: Students' Union at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB

Registered in England Charity Number: 1144886