If you have been a victim of a crime, or witnessed a crime then you may feel you need someone to talk to. Whether this be for practical help such as submiting an insurance claim or emotional support. SUBU Advice is here to help and can point you in the right direction for specialist advice and support and, where necessary, advise you on relevant SUBU and BU Policies and Procedures, e.g. mitigating circumstances.



Hate Crime

Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, gender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and should be reported to the police.

Hate crimes can include:

  • threatening behaviour

  • assault

  • robbery

  • damage to property

  • inciting others to commit hate crimes

  • harassment

If a crime is in progress or you are in immediate danger you should call 999. If the crime isn't an emergency then you can report it by calling 101. If you do not want to report a hate crime directly to the police the you can also report the crime online at report-it.org.uk or via the Dorset Hate Crime App. Alternatively, you can report via SUBU Advice as we are Third Party Reporting Centre. You can choose to remain anonymous when reporting. Contact us for more information.


Also use this link to report:












Sources of Support

Prejudice Free Dorset have a list of service to support you on their website. BU also has a Counselling Service and staff in Chaplaincy are also qualified to provide students with emotional support. You can also access support via your Faculty Student Engagement and Support Coordinator.

Victim Support is a charity dedicated to supporting those affected by crime. You can find more information and their contact details here.


Don’t forget, you can also speak to your GP, friends, family and the Samaritans.


You’re not alone!

Powered by

Registered Office

Registered Office: Students' Union at Bournemouth University, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, Dorset, BH12 5BB

Registered in England Charity Number: 1144886